I have been providing professional proofreading and editing services for over fifteen years (since 2007). Passionate about wordsmithing and eager to perfect grammar and punctuation, I will make sure that the text conveys the appropriate tone for the target audience. I can also improve the overall clarity of content and put it into “plain English” so it is accessible to all audiences. Beyond just correcting grammar and punctuation, paying attention to subtle details like word choice and voice make all the difference when it comes to a message being effectively conveyed to readers.
I have provided editing and proofreading services for many different kinds of material, including:
- Academic journal articles
- Academic theses for graduate and PhD students
- Marketing materials
- Blog posts
- Website content
- Case studies and white papers
- Corporate policies and handbooks
- College handbooks and course material
- Books (fiction and nonfiction).
My experience includes:
- Editing using APA, MLA, and Chicago styles.
- Proofreading text in Canadian, American and Oxford English and accounting for regional differences in word choice and grammar.
- Reviewing works on the topics of: economics, political science, data science, manufacturing, engineering, health and safety, civil planning, architecture, earth sciences, art, history, and more.
Background and Qualifications
I am originally from the United States. Starting in high school and throughout my postsecondary career, I studied advanced English grammar, etymology and composition under the direction of teachers, professors and mentors in both the United States and Canada. One of my favorite English grammar assignments in high school was writing an essay on the etymology of the word didactic, an assignment that held a great deal of irony since it was, indeed, a rather didactic final product.
I graduated from McGill University in Montreal, Canada with a Bachelor of Arts with a double major in political science and art history. Academic staff in both programs held rigorous standards for essay writing and composition.
In 2014, I completed my master’s degree in Adult Education and Community Development. I fulfilled the requirements of my program by writing an 120-page thesis on the topic of community building through political activism.
I also hold a Teach English as a Second Language (TESOL) certificate and 5 years of experience teaching English grammar and composition to senior managers, academics and leaders in their professional fields.
I have also completed advanced studies of the French, Spanish and Italian languages. My deep understanding of different languages is often useful for my clients, who sometimes ask me to do light translations and revisions of words and phrases from their native language into English.